Thursday, March 27, 2014

Doctor Chop

For the past few years I have sort of put the quest for oddball Dale Murphy cards on the back burner. And while it's never been easier to locate those oddities- what with eBay, Sportlots, COMC and many other sites- I've been chasing down crap that, for at least some of it, has already seen my interest begin to wane. *Sigh* Such is the life of a collector. Well, at least this one.


A recent eBay search pulled up one interesting Murphy piece- a 1985 General Mills Cereal card from Canada, which featured my childhood hero along with Robin Yount. The card was scored down the middle, allowing it to have the unthinkable done to it AND making it the perfect trade bait for a card I really wanted to acquire from Off Hiatus


Not too long before that, Tony had posted the results of a box break of 2008 Goudey. One of the nicer cards he had pulled was an autographed card of former Braves second baseman Kelly Johnson, which I thought would be a great addition to my collection. The new Yankee second baseman was a bit of a disappointment in Atlanta- I thought he'd be the next Chipper Jones (HA!)- but hey, he was a Brave and it is a nice signature!

So before taking the scalpel to it, I contacted Tony. He confirmed that he was interested in the Yount and so the card underwent surgery. With the hands of a surgeon, I was able to perform (hopefully) a flawless procedure. 

In return for my services, OH sent me a nice package that contained a number of cards. Included in the bunch was an AWESOME 1988 UK Mini Dion James.


Since Topps has revived the mini, let's see this set resurrected. I wonder if they included mini pieces of gum? Did the '75s?



1988 Rookies #9 Ron Gant


What a transformation Gant saw in his career. From decent rookie season to getting shipped back to the minors to learn a new position and get his head straight at the plate. It's a shame that after being such a key to the Braves early 90s success, he wasn't able to get a ring when they won it all in 1995.


Speaking of disappointments...

The man is now a Chihuahua. An El Paso Chihuahua, that is. Frenchy recently signed a minor league deal with the San Diego Padres, bringing his career one step closer to the border. Sounds like it could  become a hit HBO series. Oh, wait.

Anyway, another team set I'm just starting to put together. Great stuff!



Smoltzie!!! Going in with all his others.



BOB!!!!

Another of my favorites from my childhood- although I've never gone all out looking for his cards. My first '87 Leaf, believe it or not!


1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the cards! Somewhere along the way in the 80s I got a wax box of the Leaf 1987. I have to look, but I might have a Murph in there.

    ReplyDelete