Friday, February 22, 2013

Food-Issue Friday: 1993 Yoo-Hoo Willie Stargell




"One time I was in the office [of Yoo-Hoo] and the phone rang when no one else was around. I always answer a ringing phone, so I did. The woman who was calling asked if Yoo-Hoo was hyphenated. I said, 'No ma'am, it's not even carbonated.'"~ from Yogi Berra's 1989 autobiography.

Read more about Yogi and Yoo-Hoo here.

1993 Yoo-Hoo Baseball Legends Willie Stargell
Braves Alumni Notes:

    First base coach, hitting coach for Braves 1986-1988 (majors), and later served in multiple other roles: as a minor league roving instructor, special assistant to player personnel director Chuck LaMar 1989-1996.

    Career vs. the Braves .292/.373/.590, 55 HR, 164 RBI


    I typically don't mind logo and team names being airbrushed over on non-licensed cards. A solid-color, or plain white, uni doesn't look that bad in such cases. One with pinstripes, however, looks completely ridiculous. Today's featured card would have been much better had they used one of Pittsburgh's other uniforms.




    2 comments:

    1. I've never seen this set before... I'll have to track one down on eBay. I'm not a big fan of airbrushing logos, but my love for oddballs trumps lack of logos. Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Some don't look bad without logos- like the 80s/90s stuff. I don't like the Panini stuff these days.

        Delete