Sunday, January 27, 2013

One Score and Zero Years Ago: The 1993 Baseball Card Magazine Braves

Although I've subscribed to a few magazines on my iPad for over a year now, the jury is still out on whether or not I'm a fan of the digital format. The obvious advantage is the ability to have it immediately available for download- as opposed to having to wait up to a week later to have it show up torn, wet, or worse- to not even receive it. I also like the fact that, as someone whose house isn't a mac-mansion, I don't have to worry about storage space for older issues.

For all of the pros, there's still this: I just like having a hard copy to hold, or to keep as a collectible should it have an article on a Braves player. You can't frame that iPad SI cover.

Imagine if the hobby still had that great publication, Baseball Card Magazine. Were I to subscribe to it, there would be no opportunity to collect the cards they inserted into the magazine. Perhaps they would include them as a digital bonus, but I don't want to collect digital cards. I know, it sounds odd that I say that- as someone who enjoys making digital cards to publish on my blog. Still, I prefer my cards to be something material, something I can hold, flip, drop (accidentally, of course), put in a binder, put in a holder.


Braves 1993 Baseball Cards Magazine 1968 Topps Replicas:
#9 Deion Sanders 14 Javy Lopez/Mike Kelly 52 Tom Glavine 53 Steve Avery 59 Terry Pendleton
66 Chipper Jones 68 Ryan Klesko 75 Greg Maddux

That Knee to the Nuts Moment:
Looking for the cards I do have (see above photo) for a scan, and realizing I couldn't find my Chipper anywhere. Searched high and low for it, but it's nowhere to be found.


Who They Didn't Include:

Jeff Blauser- The shortstop had (up to that point) the best season of his career in 1993, earning his first All-Star appearance while setting career highs in at-bats, hits, runs scored, RBI, stolen bases, and walks. He also had a very good WAR that season- registering a 5.6 (Baseball Reference).      
      
What the Investment Advisor on the Back of the Card Would Say: While a solid major league player, Jeff hasn't lived up to the expectations of being the fifth overall draft pick (1984). Not a player in invest in.









David Justice- DJ seemed to be the ideal Braves representative in a set such as this one: star player, good looking guy, married to Halle Berry, charismatic. The stuff made for magazines- not only sports, but People, Star, and other tabloids available at the supermarket.

What the Investment Advisor on the Back of the Card Would Say: With his handsome looks, a Hollywood Wife, and charismatic character, superstar David Justice only needs a World Series ring to lift him into the stratosphere.











Otis Nixon- Singles hitters aren't very sexy among collectors, so it's doubtful that Otis would have even been considered for a card in this set. But this is my creation, so I'll put whomever I wish in it.

What the Investment Advisor on the Back of the Card Would Say: Nixon is the catalyst of the Braves offense, but is a singles hitter. Collectors prefer power over speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment