Sunday, December 9, 2012

Twenty Years Ago Today

On this day in 1992, Free-Agent pitcher Greg Maddux signed with the Atlanta Braves.

I remember sitting at the table the evening of December 9, 1993, watching Sports Center, as they aired the  unbelievable news that Atlanta had signed Greg Maddux to a 5-year deal. Shocked by the news, I probably startled the nosy neighbor lady with my whooping and hollering. It didn't take long, however, for the shock to turn to pure joy. Ahh- baseball bliss! And that it was a screwing of the Yankees at the same time only made it that much sweeter!


Custom 1993 Donruss Greg Maddux
The '93 Donruss set could never get me as excited as I was the day that Maddux signed; in fact, with the exception of a few cards, I have never been able to get too excited about this set. The design itself wasn't too bad-but the photography ranks up there with some of the worst of the past twenty or thirty years. And unfortunately for Braves fans, Maddux was included in the set as a member of the Cubs-leading me to customize this card.

My fondest memories of 1993 Donruss has to be the Rated Rookie cards of Chipper, Javy Lopez, and Melvin Nieves. Those three players helped the 1992 Greenville Braves AA team win 100 games (against only 43 losses), and anticipation ran high for their inclusion in the new products. Despite its shortcomings, those three made the set worthwhile for this collector. 




2 comments:

  1. I'm one of those guys who associates certain players with certain teams:

    Rickey = A's
    Will The Thrill = Giants
    Boggs = Red Sox

    In my mind, Maddux will always be an Atlanta Brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Who do you associate Dave Winfield with? That's a tough one for me!

      Delete