Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Cards 2012

This year marks the third or fourth year that my wife has bought me vintage cards for Christmas (and my birthday, as well). The routine is pretty simple: I give her a list with about eight or nine cards from my want list, the conditions to ask about, and the phone number for Dean's Cards.
 
Now, the size and weight of a card(s) is pretty obvious-so she usually tries to mask the gift by putting it in a large box. Perhaps she will put one of my shirts in the box, to add a little weight. It's never a surprise, though, because I don't really ask for anything else. The only surprise is who will I get.

Well, this year she tried to add a different element of surprise to two of the packages. 

For instance, the first package I opened revealed a book (the classic How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler). Well, I already have that title- of which I remind her. Could she be trying to say something? I wonder to myself.

"Check page 44," she said.

So I open it up to page 44, and sure enough...there's a 1961 Topps Hank Aaron. 

Nice Bookmark!


The next package I open reveals a CD case that has about 10 sleeves in it- each holding a pre-recorded music CD. Many have my own handwriting. I thought this looked familiar. 

"It's like trying to find Waldo," my seventeen year-old son says. 

About the time he repeats "Where's Waldo?" I find a 1961 Topps Warren Spahn.

My wife and I both say, as if on cue, "Where's Warren?" I know- really cute, huh?

The third card- a 1964 Topps 'Tops in NL' Hank Aaron & Willie Mays- card came next. This time, however, it was in the typical shirt box-sans the shirt. That's okay- I've long wanted this card.

The fourth and final card was a 1962 Topps Hank Aaron. This one came in just a plain old top loader that was wrapped in paper. No box, no book, and no black CD case.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Sounds like you have a great wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she is- I've been very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a not-for-profit educational organization, founded by Mortimer Adler and we have recently made an exciting discovery--three years after writing the wonderfully expanded third edition of How to Read a Book, Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren made a series of thirteen 14-minute videos--lively discussing the art of reading. The videos were produced by Encyclopaedia Britannica. For reasons unknown, sometime after their original publication, these videos were lost.

    Three hours with Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren, lively discussing the art of reading, on one DVD. A must for libraries and classroom teaching the art of reading.

    I cannot exaggerate how instructive these programs are--we are so sure that you will agree, if you are not completely satisfied, we will refund your donation.

    Please go here to see a clip and learn more:

    http://www.thegreatideas.org/HowToReadABook.htm

    ISBN: 978-1-61535-311-8

    Thank you,

    Max Weismann

    ReplyDelete