Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Braves Book from a Buddy

Who says that an exuberant amount of money needs to be spent in order for a gift to be meaningful? If you're a parent, surely you've received something from your child which they created: a drawing, a poem, an arts and craft project. Inexpensive, meaningful gifts aren't just given by children, however.

I was given this book for Christmas from my friend Rick. We spent Christmas day with them, enjoying good food, fellowship, and a board game. After dinner we exchanged gifts, and I was completely surprised upon opening the package. I wasn't aware that this book even existed, but Rick came across it at a second hand store and probably paid a buck or two for it. As a baseball fan who has a large collection of baseball books, he could have kept it for himself- but because it was a Brave, he decided to give it to me instead. But that's just Rick-always thinking of others. It kind of comes with his gig as a pastor. 

Anyways, I couldn't have been happier. While I was much too young to know about Alou during his playing days, I have long admired him as a manager and as a man known for his integrity. Rick could have given me an autographed Bryce Harper Bowman this or that, but it wouldn't have meant as much to me. Like I said earlier, who says one has to spend much for a gift to be meaningful.

1 comment: