Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Screw Topps 100 Card Challenge: 1981 Donruss

  Many of the cards I have purchased so far during the 100 Card Challenge have been ones which fall into the $2-$3.50 price range. And while purchasing 100 cards in that price range isn't going to qualify me for the Topps Five Star Club, it is more than I'm going to spend. Time for a strategic plan to get my costs down.

1981 Donruss Braves Team Set- 20 Cards for $2.99
It's embarrassing to admit that I didn't have this team set. Well, I did at one time-but it went away with countless cards when I got out of the hobby years ago.



When I think of the 1981 Donruss baseball set, there's a few things that automatically come to mind. It seemed like many of the photos of National League players were taken at Wrigley Field. The horrific design for the back of the cards. The thin stock in which they were printed. And of course, photos which were out of focus or had an orange tint to it (such as the Matula and Cox cards above).

All things considered, it wasn't too bad of a product for a debut set-especially after having to rush the production of it once they acquired the license.

Running Totals: 46 cards/ $33.34

1 comment:

  1. Score! I started collecting in '81 and bought '81 Donruss 8 packs for a buck! It was sweet for a kid.

    ReplyDelete