Friday, October 26, 2012

Food-Issue Friday: 1995 Post Cereal Dave Justice

 "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."~ Frank Zappa

  Although the news was released over a month ago (Susan Lulgjuraj reported it on Beckett's website), I had not heard until today that Post Cereal cards are making a comeback.

   Now, before you get too excited and begin to make plans on how to hoard all the boxes that you can get your mitts on, let me also inform you that it is hockey cards they are bringing back. No, not NHL cards-but CHL cards.

   I'm still dreaming of the day that they bring back major league baseball cards...

  I like the design of the 1995 Post baseball collector series. It was a deviation from the norm for a company that had a long history of distributing the cardboard treasures in their cardboard boxes. While quite similar to the 1993 Post baseball issue, which also featured the post logo in the upper right corner and a black border along the right side and bottom of the card, the '95 was the first set to feature a background with something other than that of the photo. It also was the first time that the card was oversized (5" x 3.5") and scored in the center. With the scored center, the card is then able to be folded in half. In the center of the folded card is a full color photo of the player. This is the one aspect to the card that I'm not real crazy about-it makes it seem like a small greeting card rather than a sports card. I guess that's what makes it even more 'odd-ball' and special. 

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you got me all excited there for a few seconds. Does anyone even care about CHL (or NHL for that matter)? I guess as long as Topps has a monopoly on the baseball card market we won't be seeing Post or any other food company release cards. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know I put up a new post on my 1979 Topps blog. All the blog love comes your way today. Here's a link:
    http://1979topps.blogspot.com/2012/10/105-rick-camp-braves.html

    I hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete